Friday, April 1, 2011

9 years ago today...

9 years ago today, I went on my first date with the man that I would eventually marry! I know, I know, it's April Fools Day. Yep, that's us. 9 years ago, April 1 fell on the day after Easter, and we had the day off of school. Matt was coming back to Columbia from being at home for the weekend. He sent me an instant message on AOL (so romantic, I know!) and asked me if I wanted to go out that night. I was so excited. The first thought in my head, of course, was "What am I going to wear??" My roommate, Janine, and friend, Amber, came to my rescue! Amber didn't live in the dorm with Janine and me, but she might as well have. We were all together, all the time! Amber lived a good 20 minutes away, but at the last minute, she came rushing to campus to bring a belt for me to borrow. She and Matt actually ran into each other in the lobby. I think I actually thought that the belt was going to make my date go so much better! I was so thankful for those girls that night (and still am by the way!!)

So, here we are, 9 years later...married for almost 5 years, and we have two little munchkins! This is what we were talking about last night, while we were getting ready for bed. I had the idea, that it would be nice to surprise Matt today. I was hoping to get the house clean, and arrange for a babysitter to keep the boys so we could have a date night. Instead, my day was a little hectic. First of all, I was trying to get Case to use the potty, and he had an accident on the carpet. Then, I realized that Tanner was seeming sicker and sicker over the last few days, so I took him to the doctor. He has a double ear infection, so we were out for several hours by the time we went by the pharmacy and got back. I couldn't find an available babysitter, so in the end, Matt came home to a dirty house and no plans for the night.

BUT....I guess he kinda had the same idea to make today special. He came home with flowers!!! Then, he told me to pick a place to go to dinner! He made my day. We went to Olive Garden, where we had to wait a little while, and didn't have incredible service, but we spent the night with our little family. I had no idea that when I was running around to dress cute 9 years ago, that I'd be so happy with all my boys today. It makes me so excited to see where we'll be 9 years from now!

1 comment:

  1. thank you SOOOO much for sharing. Great blog and I graduated from the University of South Carolina as well. I got your name via Paul Burkhalter. He follows ur blog and he is a counselor verified by psychology today and seems to be professional and I use to want to me an elementary school counselor so I thought maybe who he followed i might. Is there a search engine on tyur blog. I looked everywhere and can't find one. lookin for someone to write about how they decided to have children

    ReplyDelete