Friday, February 11, 2011

Celebrating February 11...90 years ago


When I was learning to talk, my parents say that they were trying to teach me to say "granddaddy". It came out "Can Can", and it stuck. My mom's dad is Can Can Holmes, and my dad's dad is Can Can Baston. Well, today is Can Can Holmes' 90th birthday, and it was so fun to be a part of celebrating it!

Can Can and Mama Holmes live in an assisted living home in Darlington, SC. We had a little party for him there today, and it was a lot of fun. My mom and dad brought snacks for anyone that wanted them, and my sister, Kimberly, sang a few songs. There were a bunch of people that came to support him, which was so cool to see. I tried to put a video at the bottom that I took of Kimberly singing, but can't get it to work right...maybe I can get it later...I'm not great with computers, but I'm determined to figure it out!!

Anyway, in honor of Can Can's birthday, I thought I'd list some of my favorite memories that I have of him and my grandmother:

1. They always came and spent Christmas with us. I'll never forget when I was in first grade. They got my brother, Matt, and me sleeping bags for Christmas. We were so excited!

2. When we'd go to visit them, (they lived at North Myrtle Beach) they'd play games with us. We played "Red light, green light" and "Mother May I?" a lot!

3. Can Can wanted SO badly for my brother to learn morse code. He always would get Matt to sit down with him and talk about it. I think the farthest he ever got was "dah dah dit dah dah dah". (That's Matt's name!)

4. Can Can always went to Hardee's to get us breakfast. Looking back, I can't believe that I loved that so much, but I definitely did!!

5. Can Can and Mama Holmes assigned us drawers in a dresser in their house. When we'd go to visit, we'd always give them "sugar", then go running to our drawers to see what they put in them.

6. When we gave Can Can "sugar", he always wanted a kiss on both cheeks. He still does this!!

7. The best memory is "Charlie". That memory will always be remembered. Can Can has a song that he sings about a horse named Charlie. While he sang it, he would bounce us on his knee, like we were actually riding a horse. He did this with Tanner today, and he loved it, just like all of the rest of us did!

Happy Birthday, Can Can!!

No comments:

Post a Comment